Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 – on our last legs!


Well, Don got the heater to work – thank heavens, we needed it! We were up early this morning to start on the final long leg of our trip. We want to spend a couple days recuperating in Laughlin NV, so that is where we are heading. However, Don did not want to stay in Flagstaff – too cold, so we picked somewhere in between, namely Winslow AZ.

We got here pretty much straight through on I-40. We started out heading for Albuquerque NM. We decided to drive through town on Central Avenue which, low and behold, went by a Waffle House. Guess where we had breakfast? 

As we drove along I was studying the map and the tour book desperately looking for something interesting to do besides driving straight through this beautiful desert country. As I read I remembered former trips through these very same towns, as far back as 1989. Every time I spotted a National Park on the map, Don reminded me when we were there in the past, and I confirmed it by looking at my trip journals. Oh, well, no new passport stamps on this leg of the trip. We did stop in Gallup NM where I had shopped in the past and found lovely jewelry, handmade by the local Indians, mainly the Navajo. I bought a couple pieces again before we got back on the road.

Winslow is a small town on former Route 66 (isn’t every town along here?). We drove through the main street looking for a restaurant for dinner and saw several Mexican restaurants that seemed popular. We chose one and had a nice dinner. We also realized that we had gained another hour, and we are now on California time.

We’re tired so it is early to bed tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment