Friday, October 7, 2016

Salt Lake City UT


We spent two days in Salt Lake City UT, Tuesday, October 4 & Wednesday, October 5. We have been here before and I still can’t say I have seen the city! I wanted to spend my time doing family history research in the Mormon Library, which I did. However, I must say I was very disappointed. The library building is huge with 5 floors – 2 dedicated to genealogy of other countries, 1 to microfilm for US and Canada and the last to computer access for information on US and Canada. So, as soon as I walked in I was led to a computer, logged on to Family Search and found everything I could have found on my own computer at home! I like to look at books, but almost everything is in closed stacks and you need to know which books to ask for if you want to do that. There was no browsing. I must say the DAR Library has them beat!
Other than that Don and Mickey did some exploring around the Temple Square area. I loved the city itself – it is very clean and well organized and the traffic flowed well. We found free parking wherever we needed to go. The city is located at the base of the Wasatch Mountains, so we had spectacular scenery all around us. We did tour the State Capitol which is celebrating its 100th anniversary and was totally refurbished in 2008. What a gorgeous building! The three branches of government are all represented in the building (the Supreme Court actually works out of a modern office building) with beautifully appointed rooms with modern equipment housed in the original furniture. They used 3 types of granite – white, brown, and grey. The weather was cold and rainy, so we had an early day.
Suzanne at Salt Lake City Capitol

No comments:

Post a Comment